Friday 13 September 2013

Lesson 7: Conversation with a Friend

Yesterday, I called up my friend, Chandra, who stays in Bangalore, after a long hiatus.  We talked for quite a while.  I have typed out the conversation below so as to give you a brief idea about how conversation in English mainly takes place.  Hope you will find it helpful.

I dialed Chandra’s number.  After a few rings, I heard his voice saying “Hello.”

Me:  (I said in a soft voice).  Hi Chandra, how are you?
(He at once recognized my voice and said...)

Chandra:  Hey Aziz, what a pleasant surprise!  Where were you these days man?

Me:  I’m fine here buddy.  I am still in Guwahati and have not shifted to Bangalore yet.  And, how about you?

Chandra:  I’m fine too.  Today is Saturday, so just enjoying the weekend with my family.

Me:  Oh, that’s nice!  Having a gala time, I guess.

Chandra:  Yea, but tired.  I had a lot of work in the office today.

Me:  That’s normal.  No matter how hard you try, you still can’t escape from your workload.  Well, too much of work can make you abnormal and irritable, ha ha.....

Chandra:  Yes, that’s the boring part.  And tell me about you.  What are you doing over there?

Me:  Just passing time.  Actually, the plan to shift to Bangalore got changed.  Thinking of opening a coaching center over here.  For the time being, actually got some students and am teaching them English, spoken English, Science, and social studies as well as computers.

Chandra:  That’s good.  I know you can do it and that’s a pretty good idea.... I’m really liking it really.  Moreover, your coaching center won’t be affected by any recession or American economy.. ha ha..

Me:  Ha ha.. really?  Why do you think so?

Chandra:  Well, whenever I approach my boss for some salary hike, he says that the company is not progressing well, very difficult to get jobs from US, your productivity is declining, and finally pushes everything to American economy.  And when the company is actually improving, he says it’s true that we got some new contracts but also lost some of old ones, so the company is at the same level..., again blame goes to American economy...

Me:  Oh, that’s really true and same is the case everywhere.  I too faced it a lot.

Chandra:  Well, that’s how it’s everywhere.

Me:  That’s true.  I just wanna work out my stuff and have peace of mind.

Chandra:  And what else?  Anything new?

Me:  Nothing especial.  Oh... I just wanted to ask you... do you still have the photographs of our trip to Ajanta and Ellora?

Chandra:  Actually I don’t have those, but Ganga might have as he is the one who took the snaps.

Me:  Oh yes... now I remember.  But are you sure he will be having those, as that trip was almost 7-8 years back?

Chandra:  You are right.  I’ll have to check with him.  He should have those, as I don’t think he will delete such lovely photos.  Even Mahesh might be having some of the photos of some of the trips that we had.

Me:  Anyway, you just check with them and let me know as soon as possible.

Chandra:  Sure, I will.  And how about your blogs?  I didn’t see any updates on them lately.

Me:  I just finished writing about my trip to Kaziranga National Park.  You can check that.

Chandra:  That’s cool.  I will surely check.

Me:  I also want to write about our trip to Ajanta and Ellora and that’s why I needed those pictures.

Chandra:  Sure, I will try my best to collect those.

Me:  Thanx, that would be a great help.

Chandra:  Aziz, I’ll take a leave now.  My wife is calling me to join them.

Me:  Sure, have fun... and it was really nice to talk to you after such a long time.

Chandra:  In fact, it was really nice.  Keep in touch.  Bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment