Thursday 24 October 2013

Lesson 10: Introduce Yourself

When we meet a new person, we exchange some information about ourselves – basically we share a few introductory questions and answers.  For that reason, we must always be ready with some sentences that tell about ourselves.  Keeping a few sentences about yourself in mind will not only help you speak better but also make you confident enough to befriend with anyone you meet for the first time.

Learn the sentences given below.  In the underlined words, put relevant information like your name, age, etc.

My name is Tom Hanks.  I am 22 years old.  I work at Dolby Construction Company as an assistant manager.  My father’s name is John Hanks.  He is a librarian and works at a government school.  My mother’s name is Sheila Hanks.  She is a homemaker.  I have 3 brothers and 2 sisters.  We stay in New Orleans.  My hobbies are photography and traveling to new places.  My favorite food is Chinese chicken fried rice.  I like wearing blue jeans and T-shirt.

Learning English language is not very tough as it seems.  You can just write a paragraph by simply saying a few sentences about yourself, as shown above.  When you meet a new person, you also need to ask him or her some questions so that the conversation can continue and you also get to know that person well.  Given below are some questions that you can ask.  If you notice carefully, you will see that the sentences in the above paragraph are the answers to the following questions.

What is your name?  How old are you?  Where do you work?  What is your father’s name?  What does he do?  What is your mother’s name?  What does she do?  How many brothers and sisters do you have?  Where do you stay?  What are your hobbies?  What is your favorite food?  What do you like to wear?

We discussed above about introducing ourselves when we meet a new person.  But when you go for an interview, oftentimes you will be asked by the HR manger to tell about yourself and you should always be ready to cater to this request fluently and confidently.  Keep the following sentences in mind and speak as fluently and smoothly as you can.

Good morning sir/ma’am.  It is my pleasure to explain about myself.  I am Jim Johnson.  I was born and brought up in New Orleans.  My father is a librarian and mother is a homemaker.  I have 2 brothers and 2 sisters.  As far as my educational background is concerned, I passed class 12th from Benjamin Franklin High School and scored 82.21%.  Then, I completed my diploma in electronics engineering with first class and got 72.76% marks.  My hobbies are listening to music, making new friends and chat with them in social networking sites, playing football, and traveling and I traveled to London, Miami, New York, and Costa Rica with my father.  Now about my strengths – my strengths are working under pressure.  I like working and I am very sincere in my work.  I always like to learn new things and I like challenges and I keep on working upon until I succeed.  When I was studying, I participated in various AIDS awareness programs, blood donation camps, etc.  My goal is to get placed in well reputed company where I can utilise my knowledge properly.  As a fresher, I don't have any work experience, but I will prove once the opportunity comes. That's all about me.

QUOTES
Live and behave as though the next generation is watching you. – Nikhail Svetlov

Unless a person is happy, he cannot bestow happiness on others. – Ramana Maharshi

Actions may not always bring happiness, but there is no happiness without action.  -- Disraeli

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE
A judge asked a culprit-
Judge:  Don’t you feel ashamed for coming to this court again and again?
Culprit:  Your honor, I come once or twice in a year, but you come here every day.

Teacher:  “I killed a person.”  Convert this sentence into future tense.
Student:  The future tense is, “You will go to jail.”

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

No comments:

Post a Comment