Thursday 5 September 2013

Lesson 3: There is/there are

Now that we have discussed pronouns, tenses, and auxiliary verbs, it is time for us to get into short conversations.

I assume you are now sitting in your room reading this article.  Let us find out what items are there in your room.  First, let me tell you the items present in my room.  I will use very simple sentences so that you can understand.  Here we go.

There are two tables in my room.
There is a computer in my room.
There is a bed in my room.
There is a ceiling fan in my room.
There are four chairs in my room.
There are two doors in my room.
There are four windows in my room.
There is a fridge in my room.

So, those are the items present in my room.  I have used separate sentences for each item so that you can understand better and I think, to begin with, it is okay.  In short, you can also say, “There are two tables, a computer, a ceiling fan, four chairs, two doors, four windows, and a fridge in my room.”

It is also correct to say, “I have two tables, a computer, a ceiling fan, four chairs, two doors, four windows, and a fridge in my room.”

Now, it is your turn to tell me the items present in your room.  Use ‘there is’ to indicate single or uncountable nouns and use ‘there are’ to indicate plural countable nouns.

First, learn the words below and then read the passage following it.

Holy
very religious or pure
Honesty
sincerity, truthfulness
Bold
brave, courageous
Curiosity
the feeling of wanting to know or learn something
Astonish
surprise
Reply
answer
Complied (past of comply)
obey, abide by
Request
ask something politely
Vanish
to go out of sight, disappear
Woke up (past of wake up)
get up, rise
Divine
heavenly, godly
Bow
bend over
Joy
pleasure, happiness


One night, a holy man, Abu Ben Adem by name, was sleeping in his room.  His sleep was disturbed with a flash of light in his room.  Suddenly he woke up and saw, to his great surprise, in the moon-lit room, an angel.  The angel was writing something in a book of gold.
Honesty in Abu made him bold enough to address the angel.  He asked politely, “Sir, who are you?  What wind blows you here?  What are you writing in your book?”
The angel looked up and smiled.  Then he replied in a sweet voice, “My son, I am a servant of God.  At His wish I have come here and am writing the names of those who love God.”
Abu, though astonished, asked him with curiosity, “And is my name among them, Sir?”
‘No,’ was the reply of the angel.  At this Abu said, “Then please write me down as one who loves his neighbors.”
The angel complied with his request and vanished.
The next night Abu Ben Adem again woke up with a flash of divine light and saw the angel in his room.  Abu bowed his head.  The angel showed him the list of names that were blessed by God.
Abu Ben Adem saw, to his great joy, that his name topped the list.

QUOTES
A candle-glow can pierce the darkest night.

The right angle to approach any problem is the TRY angle.

You never get a second chance to make a good first impression.

Knowledge is like a garden; if it is not cultivated, it cannot be harvested.

If your foot slips you may recover your balance, but if your tongue slips you cannot recall your words.

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE
Sheila:  What did the spider do on the computer?
Laila:  It made a website.

Tom:  What kind of birds work at a construction site?
Jerry:  The crane.

Henry:  Why didn’t the girl tell the doctor that she ate some glue?
Susie:  Because her lips were sealed.

Jerry:  Where did the school kittens go for their field trip?

No comments:

Post a Comment