Saturday 7 September 2013

Lesson 4: This, These, That, Those

You will have a clear idea about using this, these, that, those after going through the following sentences.  ‘These’ is the plural form of this and ‘those’ is the plural form of that.

This is a book
Those are books
This is my pen
These are my pens or these pens are mine.
This is your ball
These are your balls or these balls are yours

That is a bird
those are birds
That is her bag
those are her bags or those bags are hers
That seat is empty
those seats are empty

Let me tell you something about my dictionary

This is an oxford dictionary.  This dictionary is mine.  I refer to it whenever I come across a strange word.  This is very helpful to me and I always keep it handy.

You can ask me what is a dictionary.  And my answer will be “A dictionary is a reference book that focuses on defining words and phrases, including multiple meanings.”

Did you buy it or someone gave it to you?
My father bought it for me.

When?
When I was in 9th standard.

From where did he buy?
He bought it from a bookshop; I don’t know the name of it.

How often do you use it?
I use it whenever I come across an unfamiliar word.  I also carry it with me to school and look up the words that are not familiar to me, and believe me, I find it very helpful.

Whose books are those?
Those books are my brothers.

Oh really, what does he do?
He is doing MBA.

Which semester he is in?
He is in second semester.

Now, it is your turn.  Just say a few lines about a book or other things per your choice.  Use very simple sentences.

Learn the list of the words given below, and then read the passage following it.

Brave
Bold, courageous
Capture
Arrest, incarcerate, imprison
Treachery
Betrayal, treason
Gratitude
Thankfulness, appreciation
Scanty
Very little, insufficient
Escape
Flee, run away
Anxious
Worried, concerned, nervous
Beak
The hard part of a birth’s mouth
Fetter
Shackle, chain
Astonishment
Surprise
Delight
Pleasure, happiness
Savior
Rescuer

There was once a brave knight.  He was captured by the king for his act of treachery to the kingdom and thrown into a prison to die.  A nightingale would come, sit on the window of the prison and cheer the knight with her sweet melody.  Out of gratitude, the knight would feed her with some of his scanty food.  This made her a pet.  He used to talk to her as if she were a human being.  One day he said, “Ah sweet bird! If only you could help me to escape.”  The nightingale at once flew away and did not return for three days.  This made the knight anxious of her life.  But on the night of the third day, the nightingale flew back to the dark prison carrying in her beak a piece of stone.  The knight took the stone and by accident touched the fetters with it.  Great was his astonishment and delight when the fetters fell off.  He then went to the prison door, and the door opened when he touched that with his magic stone.  The knight thus managed to escape to his native country, the nightingale followed him.  There the knight showed his gratitude to his savior by building her a golden cage, with an open door, in the garden of his castle.

QUOTES
Successful person can never be defeated by problem.  They become master of the situation and defeat the problem.

You have only TWO options in life – either accept or change.  So, accept what you cannot change or change what you cannot accept.

A great man does not suffer when something happens to his own self, but feels more pain in the suffering of others.

Two things indicate weakness; first to remain silent when it is proper time to speak, second to speak when it is proper time to remain silent.

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE
A Nigerian policeman arrested a man urinating at a place clearly marked "Do not urinate here, fine N500."  The offender gives the policeman a N1000 note, the policeman turns around, fumbles a bit and says to the man, "Oga, now urinate again, I don't have change..."

Q:  Why do you go to bed every night?
A:  Because the bed won't come to you!

Jim:  How does a rabbit keep his fur looking good?
Tom:  With a “hare spray.”

Science teacher:  When is the boiling point reached?

No comments:

Post a Comment